Wednesday 8 May 2013

PPD Task 2



PPD / Task 2

Throughout the course of this academic year , I have learnt a variety of different skills which has increased my knowledge of the graphic design sector and the skills required to fit this job role. Before starting the course I had little knowledge about the workflow and processes a designer goes through when carrying out a project.

The first module 'Branding and Corporate Image' gave me a real insight into systematic design and the techniques involved in producing design for a business. Our first task was to come up with a logo for a live brief situated in Newcastle. I learnt that it is crucial to step away from the computer and start on paper as you can get things down quicker and essentially get more creative before executing the design on the computer. Producing stationary for Creative Industries helped me understand the layouts and dimensions for different types of stationary such as letterheads , compliment slips etc something I was not aware of before starting this course. I also found it interesting researching into what a brands ideology was and what actually made a brand become a brand , learning about this helped me understand and clarify how a designer comes up with a logo and what processes they have to go through to produce a final outcome .


Throughout the digital skills module I managed to pick up a handful techniques which increased my knowledge in both Illustrator and Photoshop but also how important it is to brand yourself and get it right. Which is something I found particularly hard in this module as it was not easy compacting all your brand values into one piece of promotional material and especially a logo for yourself. However a workshop held by Neil helped me formulate different brand characteristics for myself by selecting one object from each category that I felt best represented myself as a brand and my work. This gave me some key words that were relevant to myself which I could use as a guideline when designing my final piece. I could use the work produced in the future when I begin to create a website and officially brand myself as a graphic designer. I enjoyed this module particularly as It gave me creative freedom to produce something to my taste and make all the decisions when it came to my layout and logo. I also picked up some useful techniques in Adobe programmes such as layering in Photoshop ; the ability to screen images over each other to achieve different effects which really opened up a number of different experimental techniques . On my final piece it allowed me to screen light leaks over my image to achieve a Lomotography effect. I also learnt how to successfully trace using the pen tool in Photoshop which is something I was unable to achieve and often strayed away from in the past.

Whilst undergoing the Typographic and Editorial module it made apparent that Editorial design is definitely something Im interested in pursing in the future along with Art Direction , I enjoyed arranging where all the elements would go and making all the decisions when it came to type , layout and imagery. I picked up some useful skills in the Indesign workshops such as how to arrange a document including margins and gutters but also how to place imagery and arrange body copy using place holders. I was already aware of kerning and tracking however going over it in these workshops helped set it in stone and how important it is to think about these attributes when arranging type for print. I really enjoyed this module as it gave me the chance to do a magazine spread on someone of my choice allowing me to experiment with my style however getting back the marks for this module was a little disappointing only achieving 54% on a project I really enjoyed and thought was one of best final pieces of the year. On the other-hand it highlighted the fact that I need to challenge myself after my tutor mentioned my design was too safe and needed weighting. I took this advice and was then able to apply this feedback to our next module for Work Based Learning.



The Work Based learning module opened up a number of different opportunities which I found really interesting , collaborating with a third party photographer and being able to step into an Art Directors role for the day . Before starting the module I was un clear of the actual role of an Art Director , I enjoyed the authority and decision making that came with the job. I was able to convey my idea to a photographer and make all the decisions regarding my shoot including composition, type , lighting , layout. This gave me an insight into working in industry and a better idea of what I want to do in the future in the creative sector. This module was also the first time we were actually working with a live client , after attending a meeting with tyneside I enjoyed learning about design management and the processes in which designers go through when liaising with a third party. I was pleased with how my final design was executed and enjoyed the processes I went through when designing and arranging type and layout. Overall this module helped me understand both the role of an art director and a graphic designer in more clarity which advanced my knowledge of creative practices.

Upon receiving the Practice Enrichment Brief , it being the last module of my course I wanted to challenge myself and step outside the safe zone producing something that would surprise myself. So I set myself a high standard in this module and decided to render my own illustrations of iconic objects from the book 'The Big Sleep' , I loved the idea of doing a book illustration and couldn’t wait to get started. In this module I learnt how to successfully render my own illustrations using illustrator and a number of different colouring techniques in Photoshop. It was also interesting to learn about different techniques designers use to generate ideas for this type of brief including a method called fact or fiction and the process of taking photograph to get a better idea of the composition
of your illustration. Both of these methods introduced me to higher thinking when it comes to arranging a piece of design , picking out everything allowing me to go further and think more creative.



No comments:

Post a Comment