Friday 21 March 2014

Creative Dave McDonald Came In For Chat

Dave McDonald has worked at a number of agencies such as infinite agency before turning to a freelance career. His work is very prominent in the North East, having done work for Metro and the identity for the HayMarket metro station. I didn't realize this was any of Dave's work and I walk past this station everyday on my way into college , so this really gave me an insight into his work as I have always wondered what the idea and selection process was behind the type . weighting and the layout of Metro's branding. He talked a lot about the sustainability of this identity and how its not going to be lost in 10 years time but is actually indespensible. 

It was really nice to be given an insight into Dave's work and his advice on making your way into the creative industry , I have taken a number of key points Dave addressed in his talk to help me remember.

The three main points Dave stressed were (in order) :

PASSION, PERSONALITY, CREATIVITY.

I think these three points are really key to getting anywhere within the creative industry , As I have just come back from a number of interviews and both Manchester and Brighton. It's helped me put into perspective what the university's look for. 

He also talked on portfolio's giving some really good advice on the arrangement of work - Don't limit yourself to one style show that you can do other things, as this may narrow your employability. Talk about how your work will/has effected your client not just the creative process but think about it from an outsiders point of view then talk about the process behind it. 

Dave's Golden Rules ;

DONT PANIC
PREPARE AND PERFORM
FOLLOW UP
NEXT!

AIM HIGH! - Don't be put off by approaching top agencies you love , don't think the people working in those agencies are completely alien to us , as they are just a phone call or email away and there people just like us!




No comments:

Post a Comment